The International School of Stavanger provides Dutch language and curriculum offerings both during the school day and after school for our Dutch-speaking students.
Taught by a qualified native teacher, the Dutch programme includes:
- Dutch classes between two-three/week during the school day following the Dutch national curriculum (NTC) and assessment for primary school (Groep 2-7)
- Classes follow NOB standards (foundation for Dutch education abroad) and incorporate all required methods and Cito tests
- Programme provides students with opportunity for re-entry into the national school system in the Netherlands
- An additional after-school class held once/week (1.5 hours) to accomplish the extended NTC programme
- A dedicated Dutch classroom, textbooks and library
Middle and High School
- Assistance with arranging a Dutch language online learning programme, such as Edufax and Werldschool
- After-school language class (based on student interest) held once/week (1.5 hours) to help students with their online language programme and related homework
Additionally, events and celebrations are held to build national identity and community within the ISS international community. For example, every year ISS celebrates Koningsdag with a parade and party as well as Sinterklaas.
“The Dutch class provided an oasis of comfort to our children. It provided a warm community while in Norway. Upon return in the Netherlands, the quality of the teacher and class was proven since our children were able to continue in Dutch school without any problem.”Martijn Smit, Former Early Childhood and Primary School Parent, 2009-2015