Parent Association (PA)
Parent Association News
Newcomers: Welcome Information
The Parent Association welcomes all new families to ISS throughout the year. We offer help with settling into school and Norway by sharing information in the ISS Information and Community Guide and hosting coffee and other gatherings. This guide is also available in the Admissions office and at the school kiosk.
The Stavanger ISS Parent Group is an informal Facebook group managed by the Parent Association. It is important for you to join to keep up-to-date on local activities and interests.
Who We Are and What We Do
The Parent Association is a group of ISS parents working together to:
- Provide social and fundraising support to the school by means of Association events, projects, programs and donations.
- Support the goals, objectives and procedures of the ISS Board of Trustees.
- Act as a non-profit, non-political and non-partisan organization.
At the International School of Stavanger, the PA consists of parents and guardians of students enrolled in the school. All members agree to uphold the Constitution of the Association. There are no subscriptions/dues. The PA usually meets on the first Tuesday of each month at 8:45 am; however, as we are all volunteers, this may change without notice. Check the Events calendar to confirm the meeting date and time.
Programs and Services
From organizing festive international fairs to contributing to field trips and new playground equipment to running book drives, the PA has a long tradition of improving the school experience for ISS children and providing meaningful social opportunities for the ISS community. Services/programs:
- School Liaisons – The school liaison program operates to increase communication between the PA and parents of the three school divisions (primary, middle and high) to support school activities.
- Kiosk – Open five days/week, the ISS kiosks provides a place for students, parents and staff to buy school supplies and beverages during the day. Please consider volunteering for a 2 hour shift as it is a great way to meet new people and learn about the school.
- International Festival – An annual celebration, the international festival includes food booths from around the world, activities for children, raffle baskets and more. It is one of the biggest fundraisers of the year.
- Social Events – With an emphasis on bringing the school-wide parent community and families together, the PA hosts a number of social events, such as the Back-to-School Social and BBQs.
- Welcoming and Hospitality Committee – The PA Welcoming and Hospitality committee hopes to make the transition for new families relocating to Norway as smooth as possible. The committee welcomes new families joining ISS, distributes helpful information, organizes newcomer coffee mornings and provides opportunities to create new connections.
- Book Orders – Book orders are facilitated approximately four times/year in cooperation with the reading incentive program. The money raised from these book orders is put back into the school and the students so buy your books from us!
- Reading Incentive – The reading incentive program is focused on encouraging children in the primary school to enjoy reading by hosting several exciting reading programs throughout the year.
- Faculty/Staff Appreciation – The faculty appreciation group organizes appreciation gifts and ways to say “thank you” to teachers and all support staff, fostering a positive relationship with faculty/staff.
- Athletics – Athletics liaisons for the PA serve as the key point of contact between the PA board and athletic director as well as organizing events such as the “ISS Fun Run” for the entire community.
- Website, Photography and Publicity – Be part of a team to document and advertise the PA’s wonderful events and activities.
Meet Others, Make a Difference and Get Involved!
There are many ways to get involved as a parent at ISS. The PA has a range of programs and committees from which parents can choose to join, share their talents, give their time and help contribute to a positive environment at ISS.
The PA always appreciates new parent volunteers – whether to help out with an event for a few hours or to chair a committee during the school year. If you’re interested in a specific area or program or have an idea to share, the PA would like to hear from you! Please download the form Parent Volunteer Information Form or contact anyone on the PA. Our main email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact the Parent Association
If you would like to join the Parent Association or have any questions or concerns, please contact:
- Mary Patrickson , President, email@example.com, Mobile Phone 912-44-592
- Lisa Van der Horst, Vice President, firstname.lastname@example.org, Mobile Phone 405-56-961