English as an Additional Language
The International School of Stavanger welcomes students from many countries and language backgrounds around the world.
To support students who are English language learners (ELLs), an English as an Additional Language (EAL) and language enrichment program is available at school. The EAL program helps with the acquisition of English and enables students to function more successfully in both the academic and social life of school.
When they start school, students whose first language is not English or who have not previously been enrolled in an EAL program are evaluated to assess their language ability and determine the appropriate level of support needed at ISS. (Proficiency in English is not a pre-requisite for admission to ISS.)
Various approaches are used based on the students’ individual language needs and their proficiency levels. The underlying basis of provision is:
- mainstream class immersion where feasible
- varying degrees of withdrawal /small group tuition
- in-class support where possible
Students practice and develop reading, writing, listening and speaking skills by studying topics and aspects of language relevant to the age and language ability of the students.
- Students may receive language enrichment up to five times/week as an alternative to English mainstream classes.
- EAL classes are held several times/week and often instead of a foreign language.
Students who are not yet working at grade level in English classes may gain English credits by participating in their grade level mainstream English class with modifications OR attending a separate English class entitled HS English (EAL).
- EAL students may receive English language enrichment at another class time (e.g. elective).
- 9th and 10th grade EAL students can take the IGCSE-ESL course with the option of earning a recognition certificate from Cambridge University.
All teachers at ISS, in addition to the EAL staff, support students' English language development at school. The teachers also have an opportunity for in-house professional development training to develop confidence and skills helpful for teaching English language learners in their classrooms.
You can find EAL Booklet here.