General Employment Information for Teachers
When full-time or part-time teaching posts come up, they are posted first in Norway through www.nav.no.
Then, typically, ISS is represented at international teaching recruitment fairs sponsored by the Council of International Schools in London in January and International School Services in the United States in February.
General minimum requirements to be considered for teaching posts include:
- An earned bachelor's degree with a preference of a master’s degree
- Current PGCE, State Teaching Certification or equivalent
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Ability to use technology to support learning
- Two years of teaching experience
- Candidates for teaching posts must also either have, or be eligible to apply for, approval of their teaching qualifications through NOKUT, the Education Directorate or both (as appropriate).
- The successful candidate for each position will be required to submit a police statement, following Norwegian law.
- For teaching positions, the school can ONLY consider applicants with earned university degrees, current teaching qualifications and school teaching certification. Individuals without these qualifications are respectfully asked not to apply as they cannot be considered for teaching posts.
Applications for posted openings should be scanned into one PDF attachment and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We seek certified applicants for the following maternity leave/temporary position for the February 2016.
- Cross-school (Early Childhood, Primary, Middle and High School) Norwegian teacher - first and foreign language. The position is a part-time (approximately 78.08%) maternity leave/temporary position from around the end of February.
Previous experience in International Baccalaureate and/or IGCSE is a definite preference. Written and spoken English fluency is a requirement. Strong extra-curricular involvement outside school hours is an expectation.
Candidates should send the following information:
- A letter of application
- A current resumé/CV
- A list of references with phone numbers and e-mail addresses
All the above materials should be scanned into one PDF attachment and sent to email@example.com.
Interested candidates should send an application as soon as possible. ISS reserves the right to appoint before the closing date if a very suitable candidate emerges early in the process.
ISS also accepts applications from local applicants for substitute/supply teaching. Please note that the school only draws substitute/supply teachers from the talent already legally resident in the Stavanger Region. English fluency is a requirement for all substitute teaching opportunities. Candidates must attend an orientation session at the school and have legal Norwegian residency. The school cannot assist those who wish to be a substitute in gaining Norwegian residency. Send letter of intent, resume/CV for substitute/supply teaching electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org
Child Protection – Safe Recruitment Practices
As part of our recruitment practices at our school, employees are required to possess and validate appropriate qualifications for all positions. In order to teach in Norway and at ISS all teaching certifications need to be approved by NOKUT (www.nokut.no) and The Utdanningsdirektorate (www.udir.no). In addition, all employees must pass a Norwegian government background check as well as the appropriate checks from the countries in which they have previously worked. For all applications, we require written confidential references and communicate directly with previous references to ensure due diligence within the recruitment process. Once at school, ISS has a professional code of conduct that is reviewed with employees and signed annually.
Unfortunately, several scams relating to non-existent teaching jobs at the International School of Stavanger have circulated on the Internet in past years, which include information taken from our official website. The school actively works with the authorities to stop and prevent such scams. ISS never charges fees to apply and candidates should carefully consider the requests made when applying to any reputable international school.